Sanctification - United Methodist Distinctives

John 17:13-21 NLT
Now I am coming to you. I told them many things while I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy. I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. They do not belong to this world any more than I do. Make them holy by your truth. Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world. And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth. I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one – as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

John 17-19 NRSV
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

I was a college freshman, and I was being treated like royalty. Everywhere I went, there was great food and all sorts of fun, and what’s more, everyone wanted to get to know me. Guys wanted to know about my hometown, my background, my interests. They made sure I knew I belonged. It wasn’t long until I had been invited to belong, and I was introduced as a new "associate member" of the fraternity. That’s what they called pledges in our house. I went through a pledge period where I learned about the fraternity, even taking weekly quizzes. Then, one night, we went through the ritual that I’m not allowed to tell you about, and I became a full-fledged fraternity member. I was now allowed to wear the fraternity letters and identify myself with the house. It was a big deal, because I finally belonged.

In a church, I believe there’s something to be said about the process of integrating an unconnected freshman into a connected fraternity member. The freshman started as an outsider. Then we invited him in to check out the house. If we approved of him, we issued a bid, giving him the opportunity to accept or reject the offer. If he accepted, we rang him in as a pledge. After learning about the house, getting to know the members, and doing some chores and so forth, he was initiated as a full member, after which time he was expected to be a good Chi Phi. But he wasn’t left to figure it all out on his own. In fact, there was an interesting ceremony in which the pledges were "adopted" by pledge fathers whose duty it was to help them along the journey.

Our Christian journey can be compared to joining the fraternity. First, we were in sin, like the unconnected college freshman, but in Prevenient Grace, the Holy Spirit invited us in. Then, just like a pledge is initiated, through God’s Justifying Grace, we are integrated into the Christian life in the Church. But as we continue on the journey, we’re not left to do it on our own, either.

The Holy Spirit continually walks the journey with us – in us – and daily transforms us more and more into Christ’s likeness.

Of all the theological words I know, it seems that sanctification is maybe the least understood. In fact, the New Living Translation, the Bible I prefer to do my devotional reading from, has eliminated the word "sanctify" from this passage, preferring to translate it "make them holy." That’s OK, because the Greek word άγιαξω means “to make holy, purify, consecrate, hallow, be holy, sanctify.”

But that doesn’t really clear anything up, does it?

Think about it this way: when God justifies you, he also changes you from what you were to something new. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us that if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! By grace, God set us apart from ordinary use to a sacred purpose – that’s the definition of sanctification.

The very fact that we’ve been set apart is significant. But what have we been set apart for? We’ve been set apart for perfection. In Matthew 5:48, Jesus himself tells the crowds to "Be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect."

Unfortunately, we often look at mediocrity, "getting by," or being "better than so-and-so" as our goal. Instead of perfection, we want OK. Instead of being God’s people sent into a lost and broken world, we are satisfied with church attendance – and not even weekly attendance, either. Instead of giving our first-fruits to God – 10% as a tithe, then additional as gifts and offerings, we are satisfied with dropping a few bucks into the plate (as long as people see me put my envelope in, I’m fine). Instead of loving our enemies, we’re satisfied with liking our friends. Instead of continuing the sin-free life that God has cleansed, we’re content to come again for forgiveness, again and again and again. Instead of forgiving others, we’re content to hold a grudge. Instead of living 24/7 for Christ, we’re satisfied with an hour or two on Sunday morning.

This is not living out your sanctification!

We have been sanctified and have been given power over outward and voluntary sin. One of the historical questions they’ve been asking Methodist Pastors as long as there’s been Methodism, is, "Are you going on to perfection?" This, however, isn’t just for pastors. It is for every Christian. Don’t sell yourself short by saying, "I’m just a sinner." If you believe that, that’s what you will be. Instead, continue to walk in the path set before you by God’s grace.

The truth is, sanctification is both instantaneous and gradual. Some have been delivered from all sorts of sin and vices immediately. For others of us, it is a journey. God’s grace continually setting us aside for His purpose gradually transforms us into Christ’s likeness.

What is left for us to do if God’s the one who sanctifies us?

We’ve already ceased from doing evil as we were justified, but we continue to ask the Holy Spirit to reveal unknown or involuntary sins that we’re guilty of and to help us overcome them. We are still required to obey God. We can’t simply ignore what God commanded and expect to become more like Jesus. This means becoming more cognizant of what God commands us – so that means we should be reading the Bible and discussing it with others to help us discern God’s will so we can be obedient to it.

Second, we do good deeds for others and works of mercy as a means of grace. God works through us to show His grace to others, and He also works, transforming us, as we do good works in His name. Jesus told his followers that they would be known for their works of mercy: feeding the hungry, giving a drink to the thirsty, visiting the sick and imprisoned, and caring for orphans and widows. When we do so, we act as God’s hands and feet in a world that needs to know Him. And as we do so, we become more Christlike as well. This is sanctification, and it’s not just for a select few, but it’s expected of all Christians.

The benediction comes from 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24.

May the God of peace himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be kept sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Eve: Jesus is Hope, Love, Joy, Peace

Life Together: Live in Harmony with One Another

The Lord's Signet Ring